For Tenants

If you're an existing tenant or looking for a new home to rent, you will find everything you need to know when it comes to renting property right here.

Tenants sitting together

I’m looking at

How can we best help you today?


After Hours Emergency Number: 027-271 5544 (Calls only)

Prior to calling this number, please refer to the Tenant Self Troubleshooting Guide below. Please do not send an e-mail or text your property manager.


If you return home and the alarm is either flashing or beeping this may mean there was a power surge to theproperty. Type in your alarm code and wait 20 seconds; then unset the alarm code. This should stop the flashing andbeeping. If the beeping continues then the battery needs replacing. This is not urgent; all non-urgent maintenancerequests are to be emailed or phoned through to the Tenancy Manager who will arrange battery replacement.

Smoke Alarm

Check for any smoke or fire in the house immediately. If it is not caused by the smoke or fire, it may just need abattery replacement or a proper reset; you can replace the battery yourself.

No Water

Check that the tap (also known as the gate valve) on your water meter is turned on. If it has been turned off oris partly open, turn it anticlockwise to fully open. This tap is usually in a blue lidded box found at the front ofthe property. If the meter tap is already on, the cause may be a fault or temporary water outage nearby. CallWaterCare on P: 09 442 2222 or free text 3130 to report a fault.Are all taps affected? If it is just one tap, the cause will likely be in your private plumbing.This is not urgent; all non-urgent maintenance requests are to be emailed or phoned through to the TenancyManager who will arrange repair on the next working day.

No Power

If you are a new tenant and just move into the property, have you arranged for the power connection? Have you got your power account activated? Check fuses and the switches located in the electrical meter box. If the switches have tripped, reset them. If they trip again, turn off all the power points and unplug your appliances. Reset the switches again, then begin plugging in your appliances one by one to find out which one is tripping the switch. (This tip also can be used if your power is tripping lights or power points in your house.)

If the appliance affecting the power belongs to you, the repairs are your responsibility. If the appliance belongs to the owner, contact your Property Manager on the next working day who will arrange repairs. If you cannot restore power after you have checked the fuses and switches, check if your neighbours have power. Call Vector on P: 0508 832 867 and they will be able to advise you if there are any faults in your area. If you have completed these checks and cannot find the cause of the problem, please CALL the after-hours emergency number.

No Hot Water

If you are a new tenant and just moved into the property, have you arranged for the connection of your gas orelectricity? Have you got your own power account sorted?If you are not a new tenant:If it’s an electrical hot water system – check the hot water switch is turned on, check the meter box in casesomeone turned it off by mistake. If there has been an overload, the safety switch may need resetting.If it’s a gas hot water system – Is the gas turned on? Are the gas cylinders empty? Please contact your gascompany for a refill if the gas bottles are empty. Check the electrical switchboard. If there has been anoverload, the safety switches may need re-setting. Have you checked to see if your pilot light has gone out?Some gas hot water systems can be easily relit – others may require a tradesperson.Check the cut-out switch in the meter box.Check that the switch inside the cupboard, where the hot water cylinder is – is ON

No Lights and Power Points

Check your fuse box. If there has been an overload, the safety switches may need re-setting. Does a light bulb need replacing?

Screw-in Downlights / Bulbs

When replacing a screw-in light bulb, DO NOT screw the bulb too tightly into the light fitting as it causes the bulb to heat up quicker and blow inside the fitting; this makes it difficult to remove the broken bulb. This will also mean that the light bulbs need to be replaced more frequently.

Kitchen / Bathroom Sinks Are Blocked

You are responsible for keeping all sinks, tubs, showers and toilet drain lines clear. Do not allow anything into the plumbing system or use them for any purpose other than their original design. Sanitary products, diapers, facial tissues, condoms, cotton swabs, cigarette butts, coffee grounds, cooking fat or oils are not to be flushed down toilets or otherwise deposited into the drain. Try using Draino to try to free the blockage.Try pouring boiling water down the sink.You may need to clean the “U” bend. Put a bucket under the pipe, unscrew the pipe under the sink(where possible) remove ‘waste’ and re-screw the pipe back together. Pour boiling water down the drain. If there is a recurring problem with blocked sinks or drains, please advise your Tenancy Manager on the next
working day.

Microwave, Stove, Oven, Fridge, Waste Disposal Switches

All of these are connected via a number of switches that are placed on the wall in close proximity to theappliance. The reason these switches are there, is in case of an emergency; so that they can be turned offquickly. Usually they are either on the wall within site or in the pantry at approximately waist height.


Check there is power to the dishwasher. Check that the plug at the wall is completely inserted and switched on. Check if the safety switch on the wall is turned on. Check that the door is closed properly. Check the safety overload switch at the fuse board.Should these checks not fix the problem, please advise your Tenancy Manager on the next working day andthey will arrange repair.

Waste Disposal / Garbage Disposal

Check to see if the safety switch is turned on at the wall.Check if the switch under the kitchen bench is on and if the plug is completely pushed in.Some models have an air switch on the bench unit. If so, please check the unit to ensure that the plastic tubehas not become dislodged.The “re-set” on the safety switch (overload button) may need to be re-set. This is normally a little red, green orblack button underneath the bottom of the garbage disposal unit.Blocked Waste Disposal – Usually the wrong things have put down it. Never put teabags, onion skins, pumpkinseeds, or banana peel into a waste disposal. Remove any solid articles dropped down … cutlery etc. Once theoutlet is unblocked find the reset switch located under or side of the waste unit under the sink. Just push thisand the waste disposal should start.[IMPORTANT]: please make sure the waste disposal is completely turned OFF and unplugged before trying to putyour hands or tools down to the sink.

Stove Element Not Working

Check to see if the switch on the wall is turned on and check the meter box to see if switches have tripped.If your stove has elements that can be removed, as opposed to glass top elements, and an element is notworking, check the connectors to make sure that they are not lose or dirty. Sometimes pulling the elementsout and cleaning them and putting them back in again may fix the problem. If the problem continues, pleaseadvise your Tenancy Manager on the next working day.

Washing Machines and Dryers

For washing machines, check the hot and cold-water connection hoses and taps before calling to report aproblem. Dryers will need to have the lint filter cleaned after each use. If the appliances belong to you, you willbe responsible for any maintenance. If they belong to the owner and you have checked the manual (ifprovided), contact your Tenancy Manager on the next working day to arrange repairs.


Please ensure correct connections from the super tub to your own washing machine are connected prior tousing the machine. The first few times that you are using the washing machine, please leave the super tubdoor open; check whilst the washing machine is running that the hoses are not leaking. If they are leaking,check your hoses have washers at the connection point then re-screw again. If this fails, then please do notuse your machine until after we have sent a plumber to replace the thread or washers on the super tub side,which is the owner’s responsibility. If your washing machine hose is leaking, then please note that you willneed to attend to the repair of your washing machine hose at your own cost.If the problem continues, please advise your Tenancy Manager on the next working day.

Bath / Shower Leaks

The most common problem in properties is leaking from wet areas e.g. bathrooms, laundries, kitchens intoadjoining rooms. A regular check for water leaks is advisable. Should you notice water damage to a walladjacent to a shower recess, bathroom basin etc please let the Tenancy Manager know. This can be identifiedby bubbling or peeling paint, or even water or mould marks to the flooring/carpet. This usually identifieseither loose tiles or a broken/leaking pipe in the wall and will need attending to promptly to prevent furtherdamage from occurring. If the carpet / floor is wet, sponge and dry the area thoroughly and check again afteruse. Please advise your Tenancy Manager on the next working day if it is still a problem.

Leaking from Toilet

Water trickling or leaking into the bowl from the cistern usually indicates a worn cistern washer and needs tobe fixed by a plumber. Water left to trickle into the bowl continuously may inflate your water bill and thereforeneeds to be reported to the Tenancy Manager when noticed. Also leaking may occur to the tap behind thetoilet. Should there be water leaking on the floor around the toilet, regularly mop the water to minimise thedamage and turn off the tap between uses until the tradesperson arrives. Please advise your Tenancy Manageron the next working day to arrange the repair.

Blocked Shower, Sink or Drain Outlets

Try the following before contacting the Landlord;Sinks – Put the plug in, fill the sink with water, using hot water if you think it is blocked with fat or oil, then pullout the plug. The sheer volume of the water may clear the blockage. If a kitchen sink or laundry tub is blocked,try this solution first. In a dry sink, pour 1 cup of baking soda down the blocked drain, and ensure that thepowder makes its way down the drain. Next, pour approximately 2 cups of boiling water inand wait several minutes. Add one more cup of baking soda in and immediately follow it with one cup of plainwhite vinegar.If there is a recurring problem with blocked sinks or drains, please advise your Tenancy Manager on the nextworking day to arrange the repair.Showers – Please remove hairs, soap, grease clogs or whatever blocks the drain. Hairs are the common cause.Most of the shower drain outlet can be unscrewed and you could take those hairs, soap…etc out easily.Other Options – Plunge or Plunger – this will clear easy blockages from bits and pieces. Draino fromsupermarkets will dissolve most fats and may clear any blockages.

Leaking Roof

Please place buckets/containers to collect dripping water to minimise any water damage.
This can be caused by any of the following; Nails lifted, loosening through iron sheets – which they can do over timeRusted out iron flashingBroken or cracked tilesNOTE: Rain can get into any of these areas and move across ceiling beams and leak into another area of the
ceiling thus making it difficult even for a plumber identify the location of problem straight away.
This is not urgent; all non-urgent maintenance requests are to be emailed or phoned through to the Tenancy Manager who will arrange repair.

Electric Garage Door Not Opening

First, check the batteries in the garage door remote as they may need replacing.
If the garage door is still not opening by remote or button on the wall, this may mean the property has had a power surge. Go into the garage, and then;Go to the fuse box and turn all switches to the OFF position.Push the TEST buttons (usually 2 or 3 test buttons to push) and reset them. Turn all the switches back to the ON position.Try the button on the wall or the remote. This should get the door to open.If the door still does not open, use the rope pulley above the light and convert the garage from automatic to manual and push the door up whilst in manual position.

This is not urgent; all non-urgent maintenance requests are to be emailed or phoned through to the Tenancy Manager on the next working day.

FAQ: Renting

What Fees and Costs will I need to Pay?

Bond Amount
A bond amount of up to four weeks rent is collected at the start of the tenancy and held in trust with the Bond Centre. In the event that you leave with rental arrears, are responsible for damage to the property, or leave the property in a dirty or unkempt condition, your landlord can make a claim against the bond. At the end of your TENANCY, if the property has only sustained reasonable wear and tear the full bond amount will be returned to you.

First Weeks Rent
You are required to pay the first weeks rent prior to the start of your tenancy.

What types of Tenancy Agreements are there?

There are two types of tenancy agreements – fixed term and periodic.

Fixed term
Fixed term tenancies are for a set period of time, with a defined start and end date. Usually six to 12 months. Fixed tenancies can’t be terminated by either party unless each party agrees.

Periodic tenancies can simply be terminated by notice. As a tenant, you must provide your landlord/Property Manager 21 days written notice of your decision to terminate the TENANCY. Your landlord must provide you with notice which varies depending on circumstance:42 days if they or any of their family require the property for their own use42 days if the property has been sold90 days for any other reason

What happens at the end of a Tenancy?

You will find the expiry date of your fixed term tenancy within your tenancy agreement. Your Property Manager will be in contact with you well before this date to ask if you would like to renew the tenancy agreement for a specified period of time as agreed between you and the landlord. If this date passes without renewing your fixed term tenancy agreement, then your agreement becomes a periodic tenancy agreement.

You can also request a TENANCY renewal form from your Property Manager before the expiry of your tenancy agreement. The owner of the property has the right to renew the TENANCY, let arrangements continue under the terms of the original TENANCY or issue the appropriate notice requesting that you vacate the property.

What if I need to end my Tenancy early?

Contact your Property Manager first. Your Property Manager will guide you through the process involved.

What happens if the property I am renting is sold?

The owner of the property has the right to sell the property regardless of the TENANCY type. However, as a tenant, you have the right to remain in the property for the duration of your fixed term rental agreement or for 42 days from the date of notice of your periodic rental agreement.In the event you do have to relocate, we are more than happy to work with you to find a new rental property that will suit your needs.

Can the Rent be increased during a Tenancy?

Fixed term tenancy
Yes, but only if the Tenancy Agreement allows for it and not within 180 days after which the last increase took effect or the tenancy commenced.

Periodic tenancy
Yes, but not within 180 days after which the last increase took effect or the tenancy commenced.

How do I arrange any repairs that might be needed?

Any repairs that are needed on the property should be made clear to your Tenancy Manager as soon as possible.Non-urgent repairs should also be directed to your Tenancy Manager, who will organise for these repairs to take place when practical. It’s important not to try and repair the property yourself. For more detailed information please refer to troubelshooting.

Personal items damaged at the property

Your personal property is your responsibility, so any items that are damaged, lost or stolen are not the responsibility of your landlord. That is why it is advisable to cover your belongings adequately with.

Who pays for insurance?

The tenant is responsible for their own ‘home contents insurance’. Landlords are responsible for insuring the property including any chattels. We strongly recommend that your own contents are fully insured.

Can I make any small alterations to the property?

Before making any alternations to your rental property, including small changes like picture hooks etc, ensure you speak with your tenancy manager to get the OK. The best way to do this is in writing so the request can be forwarded to your property owner who will need to provide permission for any changes. Keep in mind changes may also be at your expense unless agreed otherwise with your landlord.

How often will you inspect my property?

Inspections are carried out at regular intervals, as required by the landlord’s insurance company. This will be discussed during your sign-up appointment, however we currently set all our inspection intervals at 13-week intervals.

You will be sent a letter, text and/or email notification approximately one week prior to your inspection, giving notice of the date and approximate time of our visit.Photographs of the property will be taken at these inspections to track the general condition of the property and of repairs and maintenance as required. A report of our visit will be sent on to the property owner.

When can the owner or agent enter the property? How much notice am I entitled to?

Notice for access varies as follows:If tenants agree, the landlord can enter the property immediately OR

- For the purpose of carrying out a routine inspection – 48 hours.
- For the purpose of carrying out necessary repairs or maintenance – 24 hours
- For the purpose of showing the property to prospective tenants, purchasers or a registered valuer – by consent (which cannot be unreasonably withheld).

What am I responsible for?

As a tenant you are responsible for caring for the property to a clean and tidy standard for the full term of tenancy. This includes rectifying any damage that you or your guests, children and pets may have caused (whether accidental or not).

At the end of tenancy, the property must be returned to the same condition – less fair wear and tear – as it was provided at the commencement of your tenancy.It is the tenant’s responsibility to replace any blown light bulbs, cracked or broken windows, and blown fuses throughout the property. Tenants are also responsible for cleaning heat pump filters monthly and maintaining their gardens and lawns to an acceptable standard, as well as rubbish and general waste removal (including lawn clippings) fortnightly.

If you are ever unsure of who is responsible for the repair, please contact your Property Manager.

What is the owner responsible for?

The owner is responsible for the day to day; repairs to property, payment for council land rates, fixed water charges (if on town supply) and insurance.Day to day repairs include (and are not limited to) any building faults, plumbing, electrical, heating and general maintenance.

Can a Tenant have flatmates?

Yes, if the number of people in the property does not exceed that stipulated on the Tenancy Agreement. Note that the property owner/manager may require additional details of the person proposed to live in the property to meet their insurance obligations.A flatmate is not legally responsible for the tenancy. The only persons who are liable are those who are specifically named and have signed the Tenancy Agreement.It is common practice for more than one person living in a property to sign the Tenancy Agreement. This makes them all jointly and severally liable for meeting the terms of the agreement.